2020/21 Online Employment, Life Skills and Leisure Expo
View recordings below
Website closes 18th April 2021
TOPIC: NDIS Employment Supports in Year 9 to 12
- Find out how NDIS funding can help you get the skills and confidence you need to get ready for a part-time job.
- Ideas on how to use your NDIS funding for work readiness support while at school.
- Find out what might be possible.
(this is not about SLES – School Leaver Employment Supports)
Disclaimer: this interview is based on information available at the time of recording, 08/03/2021. Please refer to the NDIS website for the most up to date information available, via www.ndis.gov.au
TOPIC: In Yr 12? What to do now
- Information on strategies that can help prepare for a smooth transition to life beyond school.
- Get an idea on the types of supports that exist.
TOPIC: Advocacy for young people
- Find out all about Advocacy and how it can help you.
- Learn to be more confident, make decisions and know about your rights.
- Leadership and Peer Support training (LAPS) program for young people with intellectual disability.
For more information on Self Advocacy Sydney Inc, please check out their website: https://www.sasinc.com.au/
National Disability Advocacy Finder: https://disabilityadvocacyfinder.dss.gov.au/disability/ndap/
TOPIC: What to look for in a Service Agreement
- You will need to negotiate a service agreement for every NDIS service you use.
- Know your rights and how to get the most out of your service agreement.
TOPIC: DES (Disability Employment Services) versus
SLES (School Leaver Employment Supports)
- Find out about supports that can help you get job ready after school.
- What are they and which one is for me?
TOPIC: Thinking about TAFE?
- Getting support at TAFE Western Sydney and tips for being TAFE ready.
TOPIC: What is Supported Employment? Focus on Australian Disability Enterprises – ADE
- Understanding ADE’s and what they offer.
- Tips for choosing one.
TOPIC: Multicultural Peer Network
- Social and community participation for people from culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities, people with disability, their families and carers.
Visit www.ssi.org.au/resources/publications or contact Susie Eve 0403 597 303 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Check Resources section of this website – search for “Multicultural Peer Network”.
TOPIC: Inclusive Sports
- The Sport NSW referral system helps you to find and join an inclusive sporting activity in your area. For more information on Inclusive Sports, visit the Resources section of the Expo website. Search for “Inclusive Sports”